Immediately after 40 Several years Battersea Power Station to get Evolved into 3, 500 Brand-new Residences

0 Comments

Battersea Power Station has stood empty for a long time awaiting development and approval of plans. Now it’s been announced that in October 2013, conversion into new homes will ultimately begin thirty years after the energy station closed. The Battersea Power Station Development Company is behind the venture and in charge of the restoration of the Grade II listed building.

The restoration project will run into millions of pounds and should include much major repair work before any renovation is actually undertaken. The first phase of the building work is to fix the external brickwork, clean the towers, do work to the steel frame, repair and replace windows and remove and rebuild the famous chimneys. The chimneys is likely to be reconstructed to exactly the same design but using the latest safety and structural standards. The idea is to keep the building looking exactly the same and as an icon of London.

A particular team has been come up with to work on the webpage and the main developer for phase 1 as been announced as Carillion with the architect being Ian Simpson Architects and de Rijke Marsh Morgan. The contract for the first phase is rumoured to be worth around £400 million and is likely to be among the largest in London at the current time. Carillion is among the UK’s largest construction firms and already has numerous high profile development schemes udder its belt such as for instance Terminal 5 at Heathrow Airport and Crossrail and the Royal Liverpool Hospital Project.

The first phase is likely to be called Circus West and will be to the west side of the Power Station and will include around 850 one, two and three bedroom apartments, also town houses and luxury penthouses. There will also be shops, commercial units, cultural buildings an d community spaces. When completed the complete development can provide significantly more than 3,500 new homes. It will even produce a large quantity of new jobs.

Battersea Power Station is the greatest brick building in Europe and was known for its Art Deco interior and decor. It’s a classic coal-fired power station on the lender of the Thames river, in South-West London. It is actually two individual power stations which were built at different times but within one building. The first part was built-in the 1930’s and the second part 20 years later. They have the same design giving the iconic 4 chimney look. The ability station stopped making electric in 1983 and has stood empty ever since. However appearances in a variety of music videos for the Beaatles, Take That and Judas Priest and importantly gracing the cover of Pink Floyd’s 1977 album Animals have managed to get a unique landmark for London. P2001 power station

Before the 1930’s it absolutely was for the area councils to provide electric and so there were small power stations to do the job for different districts and the vitality was employed for a particular factory or industry and excess was sold to the public. However as they were small places the quality and voltage and frequency of the energy differed greatly. In 1925 the Government decided there should be one single power grid with uniform standards. The London Power Company was formed from several of small power suppliers.

Their first super power station was built at Battersea whilst the proximity to the river allowed for quick cooling of the systems and advantageous to delivery of the coal and was in the center of London to provide electric to. There clearly was much opposition on the causes that the building would be an eye-sore so the organization brought in a famous architect to style the exterior. When it opened it absolutely was probably the most thermally efficient power station in the world. It absolutely was built-in 2 stage and by enough time the second phase was completed the UK’s electric supply have been nationalised and ownership was passed to the British Electricity Authority.

There were numerous redevelopment plans over the years as different companies annexed the site. In 2004 there is a redevelopment project in the pipe line but the prevailing debts of over £750 million, the requirement that any development must incorporate a £200 million contribution to a proposed extension of the London Underground, the necessity for a waste transfer plant and cement factory on the banks of the river and the conversation required, managed to get an unattractive investment and an arduous commercial project.

In 2006 it absolutely was bought by an Irish company for £400 million. They initially planned to refurbish the site into a public venue and housing. The master plan was granted permission to go ahead but the Irish company’s debts meant the administrations were called in at the conclusion of December 2011 and in July 2012 it absolutely was sold to a Malaysian owned consortium for exactly the same amount whilst the Irish company got it for. Most interested parties simply desired to demolish the structure and redevelop the land and it’s took careful negotiation to locate a firm prepared to undertake the conservation and refurbishment, while creating a commercial venture.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *